Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Addictions and pretty women

I've written about addictions before. I think it's a very important aspect of life to understand if one wants to rise above the traps.

An addiction occurs as a distraction from pain. Which at its deepest level always the pain of the imagined separation from Source (god). That pain is very great, which is why addictions are so powerful.

Addictions are not only drugs, they can be anything. Work, exercise, "love", sex, sports, prestige, wealth, anything that can take attention.

I've managed to stay clear of the most destructive ones, like drugs. But I still have some: coffee, sugar. Thinking. Entertainment. Pretty women. It's especially in the last one that I really notice the power of addiction. The attraction, the pull, of a beautiful woman is so astoundingly powerful it beggars belief.

It's a bit of a special case though. It is my belief that while sex in itself is pretty much just a drug, the abstract part of the Beauty of Woman is one of those things which connect us with god. Which is why it can be so powerful and so painful. It actually helps undo the Ego. I once had the perception that this design was deliberately created to help counter the introversive effect of sex, and offer a way out.

11 comments:

Aniko said...

Well, that means the world is designed for men...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Well, a woman has herself.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I think that works well too, since women tend to be less trapped by sex than men.

Anonymous said...

Yeh, I should buy a mirror.

Anonymous said...

"I think that works well too, since women tend to be less trapped by sex than men."

Maybe. They are less trapped by sex, but more by emotions, it's kind of the same stuff probably. I don't know.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

We have a way to go yet.
But my perception was that it would have taken *way* longer otherwise.
Of course that's just a personal perception I had, and can't be proven.

Aniko said...

"We have a way to go yet.
But my perception was that it would have taken *way* longer otherwise."

What do you mean?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

People are starting to awaken and leave the ego behind in the past couple thousand years. That might not have happened for thousands of years yet.

Anonymous said...

Maya is astoundingly beautiful
until she's uncovered.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

The universe can't be beautiful because it doesn't exist.
But it can reflect beauty.
Otherwise we would never have arrived at the point where we can wake up.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

The ur-version of A Course In Miracles says that space and time were made as tools to get us out/wake us up.

I think it was removed because many people would misunderstand it to think that space and time are real, or holy.