Saturday, February 9, 2008

Fear of Love

"Your fear of attack is nothing compared to your fear of love."
- ACIM chapter 13

This is another quote which I would have expected to see all over the place. It's simply stated and a profound truth. Yet I don't find it quoted anywhere on the web, not a single place. This is interesting. I am guessing it's just too fearful to face.

It's very much been my own experience for the last two decades that this is so. Things turned after a big spiritual breakthrough in the eighties, and I found myself being much more disturbed by love and beauty than by Evil.

It is one of the good examples of the big counterintuitive-ness of A Course In Miracles. Because "everybody knows" that what we really want is Love. And yet if we look, it is clear that we don't. When we get love, we kill it as fast as we can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can see this played out in my inability to stop eating more food than my body needs. Through ACIM I have learned and believe,I eat more food because I'm terrified of facing God's love and being found unworthy. And I'm even more terrified of the thought that if the HOly Spirit changes my mind enough so that I don't need extra food.....some day I might be worthy.... And then it just might be only me and God everything else will disappear. Now that's a really, really scary thought for me...